Schedule of meetings and other events for the 2020-2021 season. Meetings are free and the public are invited to attend. Click here for the field trip schedule.
Meetings will be held on Zoom. Please read the instructions below.
Take part in the monthly meetings from the comfort of your own home by following these instructions:
- Register for the meeting by providing your name, email address, and mailing address. You do not have to be a member of Pelican Island Audubon to attend.
- A day or two before the event you will be sent a confirmation email containing a password for the meeting and a link to click on to take you to the meeting.
- When it is time for the meeting, simply click on the link and enter the password.
- Zoom will automatically ask you to download the application when you click on the meeting link if you have not downloaded the Zoom application yet. If you want to download Zoom in advance, you can do it manually here: https://zoom.us/download
- Other considerations include:
- An Internet connection suitable for live streaming (wired or wireless)
- Headset or speakers (usually included with most laptop & desktop computers
- A quiet location where you will not be disturbed
The Language of Birds with Nathan Pieplow
October 18, 2021 on Zoom starting at 7PM
The Pelican Island Audubon October 18, 2021 general meeting on Zoom starting at 7PM features a presentation on The Language of Birds with Nathan Pieplow. All around us, all the time, the birds are telling us who they are and what they are doing. In this talk, Nathan Pieplow unlocks the secrets of their language. You’ll listen in on the pillow talk of a pair of Red-winged Blackbirds, and learn the secret signals that Cliff Swallows use when they have found food. You’ll learn how one bird sound can have many meanings, and how one meaning can have many sounds—and how, sometimes, the meaning isn’t in the sounds at all. This talk from the author of the Peterson Field Guide to Bird Sounds is an accessible, entertaining introduction to a fascinating topic.
|General Meetings 2021 – 2022|
|September 20, 2021||Innocent Victims: Wildlife and Plastic with Terry Root, Ph.D|
|October 18, 2021||The Language of Birds with Nathan Pieplow|
|November 15, 2021||Birding in Panama with David Trently, Partnership for International Birding|
|January 17, 2022||Trees & Caterpillars with Deborah Green, President, Orange Audubon Society|
|February 21, 2022||Early Nature Artists in Florida: Audubon and His Fellow Explorers with Chris Fasolino, author of Early Nature Artists in Florida: Audubon and His Fellow Explorers|
|March 21, 2022|
|April 18, 2022|
|May 16, 2022|